What is SEO
Search Engine Optimization usually referred to as SEO is the careful analysis and optimization of online content to insure popular search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo will find, index, and rank your content. The better your SEO efforts, the higher your content (web pages, posts, images, videos, social media profiles, etc) will rank online. When a potential customer is searching for the types of products or services you offer and they type in keyword phrases into the Google search box, you want your content to rank well or show up on page 1 of Google and other search engines. Below we’ve listed some important onsite seo factors that help your web pages show up in search results. The text, sub headings, images, videos, lists, and other content below the main title and h1 heading of your page is generally considered the body of your web page or post. You’ll hear variations of what the perfect amount of content (text) per page is. As a general rule, try to have your web pages and posts contain between 300 and 1,000 words. Make sure that the content (text, images, video) are of value to your website visitors who are searching for the keywords and phrases. For example; if your post or page is about how to do something, then your H1 (main heading) and page title should read “how to ….”. If your page or post has an H2, H3, or other content sub headings within your page, those headings should be brief 1 to 4 word descriptions of the content and contain relevant keywords to your page. We show two different types of lists below, an ordered or numbered list and an UN-ordered or bullet list. Search engines love lists, good titles, and high quality content.
Most used SEO Terminology
While there are literally hundreds of terms that you could associate as being part of SEO, we’re going to share the Top 10 that you must understand.
- Content – the text, images, video, and media you add to your webpages
- Meta Data – descriptions, titles, and keywords used to describe pages or media
- Meta Descriptions – description displayed below each search result link
- Meta Keywords – usually 3 to 6 brief keywords or phrases to describe page or media
- Page Title – displays at the very top of your web browser when on a web page
- Link Building – inbound links from other relevant & reputable websites
- Headings – your primary heading at the top of each page should be an H1 font size
- ALT Text – description that appears when you hover the mouse over an web image
- Anchor Text – text that appears when you hover the mouse over a web page link
- URL Structure – after the website.com/the-text-that-appears-here
Top 3 SEO Oversights
- URL Structure – always have clean URL’s like this page. Example: “viralshot.com/what-is-seo” I’ve seen countless websites where the pages end with .htm, .html or have random characters and numbers that should not be in the url.
- Quality of Content – always create your own web page content and never copy from other sites. On occasion you will see web pages that have high rankings or SERPs (search engine result positions) when they have duplicate content. This gets a little more complicated to explain why… It’s best practice to never copy or duplicate content. Be creative and unique. It’s simple enough to share your own take on any subject matter.
- SEO Services – ok, so just about every SEO Company out there reading this is obviously going to disagree. I’ll tell you from personal experience, do not when first starting out spend thousands of dollars on SEO services. Between pages around the web like this and our strategies you’ll find all the search engine optimization knowledge you’ll need to start heading in the right direction. While there are many great SEO companies and services around the web, there are also many services where you simply don’t get what you pay for. If you don’t know How To Select an SEO Company then you could quickly do more harm than good! Some services out there sell the non SEO educated link building services. Don’t fall for this. We can show you how to properly build a strong SEO foundation that will deliver results for your business.
Top 3 Must Do SEO Tips
- Have the web page heading, url, and page title of each page or post match
- Provide content rich pages containing headings, lists, and optimized images or video
- Never duplicate or copy content from another website
What is SEO in bold. Keywords that are in bold as shown to the left have a small but helpful percentage of helping your web content rank better. Here is an example of a 100% relevant internal hyper link: Why is SEO important? It’s good to have a couple internal links from your web pages to other pages on your website (besides your navigation links). Pages of relevancy like this one that hyper-links an exact keyword phrase to a relevant page who’s heading and title are the exact same as the hyper-linked keyword phrase end up helping your internal link structure and show search engines that you provide quality and relevant paths for your visitors to use. We’ve listed some common and important SEO (search engine optimization) elements. This information will help start you off on the right foot. For additional SEO Tips and a more comprehensive search engine optimization training get our tips and strategies which discusses additional techniques and methods used by SEO Experts.